Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What Hath God Wrought? A lot.

Okay, you had to know this was coming. Today is May 8th! What is May 8th, you ask? May 8th is the day I started this blog exactly one year ago. And as you might have guessed, the title of my very first post was What Hath God Wrought?

I didn't know what would become of this blog or what would happen in my life in the next year. When I started, I had no idea what I'd write about. Now I've written 67 posts. No one knew I was writing a blog. Now I have 20 followers. No one read it. Now almost 3,000 people have viewed at least one of my pages. This includes people from Russia, Germany, Canada, the United Kingdom, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Ukraine, and Australia. Amazing! Now when you type "Melissa Landon" into Google, a few things about my blog show up in the first page of results. I thought that was pretty cool.

I started this blog because my sophomore year of college had just ended, my sister had just graduated, and I was staying in my little college town for a few days longer than everyone else. I'd had a class about news blogging, and I longed to write just for the sake of writing... about whatever I wanted to write about. I was feeling creative and sentimental. Thus, blog. Now, a full year later, I just finished my junior year, I watched one of my best friends (and other good friends) graduate from my college, and I'm staying with my sister in my little college town for about a month. I find it absolutely amazing how many things have changed in the past year.

When I started the blog last year, I had about a month at home, so I wrote a lot. Then I was at camp for two months, so I didn't write much, but those were probably the best two months of my life. Then I went back to my University for semester 1 of my junior year. I've dubbed it the weird semester. I enjoyed it, but parts of it were really hard, and it was REALLY WEIRD. Then I had Christmas break. I wrote a lot of "looking back" and reflective posts about Christmas and the year. Next came semester 2, which was really hard but still infinitely better than semester 1. I met new friends, started to see where I could practically, occupationally, and helpfully apply what I have learned in college, started to dream bigger, and started thinking about graduating.

Here are the top five most popular posts I've written:

1. Christians are Narrow-minded?
2. Your Thoughts During Finals
3. Who Gets 80 Dollar Library Fines?
4. "'Ello, Beastie"
5. Things That Drive Me Crazy

So here I sit, a full year older than when I started writing this blog, wondering where 365 days went. So much happened, and yet it went by like a day. This year I'm turning 21, traveling to London for over a month, and beginning my last year of college. Within a year, I will likely have a college diploma, a car, a job, and an apartment. That will be such an adventure! But as you know, for me, adventures never begin next year, next week, or even tomorrow. The adventure is always right now.

I can't wait to see what God is up to for next year, for next week, and for today. I am so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment