Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Melted Barbies?

My sister Katie and I look out for each other. She's always had my best interest at heart, even when we were really young.

Of course, there were times when I deliberately took the bigger half of the Pop-Tart. (No, my mom would not let me eat whole Pop-Tarts until I was like 10.) There were times when Katie threw carrots at me. (Okay, she still does that on occasion.)

One day, back when my sister was 6 or 7, and I was 4 or 5, we were sitting at our little kiddie table in the kitchen eating lunch. I'm pretty sure we had sandwiches. I remember that there was a bag of Barbecue chips between us, and occasionally I'd reach my little hand into the bag and eat some chips.

Katie noticed something I didn't.

We were running out of chips.

Katie really liked Barbeque chips. She probably couldn't think of any other way to get me to stop eating them, so she asked me, "Do you know how they make these chips?"

(This conversation is probably not word-for-word since it happened a long time ago.)

I shook my head. I didn't know how they made Barbecue chips. But Katie knew lots of stuff. So I listened.

She leaned over the table and looked at me earnestly.

"Well, it makes sense. They're called BARBEcue chips. They use MELTED BARBIES to make them."


I believed her, and I was horrified. How could people do that!? What a terrible thing! "What? Well, I don't want to eat anymore of them!" I declared.

Katie finished the chips.

She did tell me later that she'd made up the whole melted-Barbie deal. After my initial shock, I thought it was pretty funny. I still can't believe I believed that. Fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment