Friday, September 2, 2011

The Stupidest Things Happen to Me

I have the weirdest stories. No, my life hasn't turned upside down... like, I haven't moved to India or shaved my head or accidentally eaten fried squirrel. But just in the every day race of life, the most random stuff happens to me.

For example.

Let me just preface this by saying that the scariest movie I've ever seen is Psycho. It's positively terrifying. Don't watch it. Seriously, don't do it. I saw it when I was like 12, or maybe even before that, and I've never forgotten about it.

Back to the present. Four or five days ago, I was having a deep conversation with my roommate. We both stay up late frequently, and this time we were talking until about 4 in the morning. About 4:15, she told me she was tired and needed to sleep. So she went to sleep, and I grabbed my towel and soap and such and started walking down the hall.

"What?" you're thinking to yourself right now. It's four in the morning! You're seriously going to take a shower? Just go to bed! Well, I can't sleep without taking one. Pretty much ever. 

Fast forward to ten minutes from that point, and I was about halfway through my shower. Of course there's not going to be anyone else awake at this ungodly hour, so imagine my surprise when suddenly ALL of the lights just SHUT OFF in the bathroom.

Everything was just BLACK. PITCH BLACK. My heart pounded, and I gripped the handle of the shower door in trepidation. When whoever—or whatever—it was that had shut those lights off tried to find me, I knew I had to try to hold the door shut.

Find me? Silly me! That wouldn't be too hard with the sound of the shower running...

For whatever reason, I had brought my phone with me, so I called my roommate, woke her up, and told her that "ALL THE LIGHTS ARE OFF AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!" 

Now, generally I have a good memory. But not in this case. She just sighed. "Melissa, remember the scheduled power outage? There's been signs everywhere for three days. Just don't forget to set your phone alarm since other one won't work."

She was so nice about it. I just said "okay" and hung up. Scheduled power outage? Really? Here I was, thinking that someone wanted to cause my demise, and it was just a stupid scheduled power outage?!

I was not a happy camper. For one thing, it was really difficult to find the soap or anything since it was still PITCH BLACK in the bathroom.

To make matters worse, I heard the bathroom door open, and someone came in to use the bathroom. I couldn't help think of Psycho, even though I knew the whole lights-off thing was just a scheduled power  outage. But the other problem was that whoever that was was probably more scared than I was. They were probably thinking, "Who takes a shower at 5 in the morning!" 

Well, I do. Or, I did that time, anyway. Something like that would only happen to me. Because no one else would be awake at that time, let alone taking a shower. Ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment